Invitation and roundup from Russ Thomas.
This is your official invite to the SQL Server Performance Grand National. I want posts tackling “focused” performance tuning.
By “focused” I mean tackle something head on; the more secret sauce, tricks, code samples, operator costs, or demonstrable metrics against a defined problem the better. This month is for the gear heads. Don’t wimp out by avoiding hints, plans, or guides. General practice is for wusses. Write something that’ll either go BIG or flame out half-way down the track. Drag racers aren’t grocery getters. If your post begins with the phrase… should be implemented with caution – you’re doing it right. If you’re an SSIS, SSDT, SSRS person – we’ve got a funny car division for you too. Tell us edge cases where you’ve make your stuff scream.
Need some ideas?
- Tackle a non set based problem you’ve improved in the wild
- Discuss hardware settings or IO – anyone using a flash array?
- Got a solution to a niche wait type?
- Tackle indexing edges (good or bad)
- Columnstore !!!
- Hash buckets !!!
- Parallelism !!!
- Break down and improve a peculiar query plan operator